About McPherson's Rant

Cannyman1

McPherson’s Rant is an old Scots Folk Song about a Robin Hood Type Character who was hanged.

There is no connection, unless you count the “rant” part.  The world’s a strange place and sometimes a “rant” at absurdity and unfairness is just what’s required.

Here you can expect to find examples of stupidity, irony and idiocy , especially relating to Hong Kong, and with particular attention to the SCMP, and its’ letters page. A common problem with many blogs is their failure to find something new to say, I find the SCMP, and it’s letters page, provides plenty of ammunition on a daily basis and will reference them frequently. If you have your own letter not getting published, put it on our comments section.

Evil Bitch

Annalise Connell!  Heard of her?

I’m going to try and be diplomatic here… she’s a fucking evil cow! Sorry, but I feel the need to emphasise my point with an expletive.

This woman sees herself as some sort of moral luminary and here’s what my good friend Bertrand Russell had to say about moral luminaries:“People who are regarded as moral luminaries are those who forego ordinary pleasures themselves and find compensation in interfering with the pleasure of others.”

O’Connell, hereinafter referred to as ‘that bitch,’ is concerned with everything you do.

She’s the one who, over the last few years, objected to every liquor licence application if the applicant intended to allow smoking, thereby penalising hardworking business people who had to get lawyers and faced delays in getting licenced, even though smoking was not against the law in licenced premises at that time.

She was at the forefront of the battle for the smoking ban to have no exemptions and created a smoke screen of disinformation to get her way. She’s the bitch that staff all over Hong Kong can blame for losing their jobs, notwithstanding she claimed she was working on behalf of their health.

Now, she’s going after bartenders.  Her reasoning in her latest SCMP diatribe is that people who serve alcohol to people who are later caught drunk driving are morally culpable for the drink driving offence, therefore she would like to see them prosecuted.

“There is no corporate responsibility behind the warnings to be put in bars and on beer glasses.The random drink-driving testing has focused the spotlight directly on the people responsible – bartenders and the liquor licence holders who do their very best to get their customers drunk to make more money.

With the new random testing there is now a legal paper trail from a drink-driver to the responsible bartender who got the driver drunk, through the credit card purchases in the bar. I look forward to the first prosecution of these irresponsible bar-keepers.  Annelise Connell, Stanley

What a simplistic cow! But why do I call her evil?

Her constant pontificating betrays an underlying morality which seems to say: ” I know what is good for you and I’ll be damned if you can be trusted to make your own decisions.”

She has no concept of individual freedoms and personal responsibility, preferring to straight jacket individuals to a strict level of conformity while she dictates what is to be conformed too.

Does any one out there have any dirt on this bitch?  I know she was a squatter in Tai Tam a few years back.  She was on the board of “Clear the Air” but I think was bumped, she also once had something to do with St. john’s Cathedral fund-raising but that information disappeared off the net.

Imagine for a moment a world where these people, with their narrow agendas, dictate policy, it’s called Fascist, and her attitudes are not dissimilar.

I’ll let another friend, Adam Smith, wrap up this rant.

“Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience.”

tags: ,

12 Comments

1. Posted August 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Staff all over Hong Kong are losing their jobs ??

2005 – $ 56,500
    2006 – $ 61,900
    2007 – $ 70,200 – tobacco control laws – with bar exemptions
    2008 – $ 79,400
    2009 – $ 79,900 – full tobacco contorl laws – no bar exemptions (from July
    2009)
    2010 – $ 84,000 – outdoor seating exempted

Catering revenue has gone up since bars exemptions were pulled.

2. McPherson
    Posted August 24, 2011 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

To paraphrase someone, “Statistics are the last refuge of the scoundrel.”
    Aside from that, this post is not about increasing revenues, but more, the insidious encroachments and interference in individual freedom of choice, and personal responsibility.

3. Posted August 24, 2011 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

I still have not receive a reply to my offer for the Canny Man to provide the names of the bars that “allow” smoking near Mr. McPherson’s premises so that I can personally investigate and report them to the relevant authorities.

I promise to post the names of any such bars i find to be in violation of their liquor license. For any visitors here who do not know, liquor licensees cannot “allow” illegal activity on their premises.

I pledge to post the names of all bars I have found to be in violation of their liquor license on a new website named “EvilBitch.hk”.

Mr. McPherson I throw down my gauntlet. Do you have the courage to pick it up?

4. JC
    Posted August 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

She’s not evil, but obsessed and uncompromising.

I actually agree with most of Connell’s views, but admit that she often gets her knickers in a twist over dissenting views…from her own allies.

5. McPherson
    Posted August 26, 2011 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

JC,
    Use of the term Evil Bitch was intended to be Hyperbolic, however, with the distance of time since I wrote it, I am more uncomfortable with it, yet reluctant to edit the piece. I too agree with some of her sentiments, but cannot, ever, condone her self-appointed positions.
    Annelise, my own principles cannot allow me to start grassing up bars, suffice to say, were you to go into virtually any bar in Wanchai or Causeway Bay, that is targeted at a Chinese clientele, and is off of ground level, you’ll find your own answers.
    McPherson

6. Posted August 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

The “evil” part is fine. That is opinion.

The “bitch” part is sexist. The “cow” part is sexist. I believe the gender-neutral term would be “asshole” or “f-ing asshole”.

But if you have decided that your chosen moniker should be applied to someone who actively advocates that every employee, everywhere, has as a fundamental human right to unpolluted air at their workplace – and takes action – then I’ll tell the men and women I work with – like Dr. Anthony Hedley and Dr. Judith Mackay of the WHO, that, as a group, we are “Evil Bitches” :)

7. McPherson
    Posted August 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I refute the contention either term is sexist, in fact bitch in one definition in merrier-webster is ” a malicious spiteful or overbearing woman, sometimes used as a generalized term of abuse.”
    Re Staff, antismoking activists got no where with their activism until they employed sophistry to pitch the issue as a safety at work issue, blithely ignoring the fact that many employees in the industry smoke.
    But you’ve won your battle now, I much rather wish you took on pollution in HK generally rather than choosing an easy target.

8. JC
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Anthony Hedley’s no “evil bitch”. He was polite every time I corresponded with him.

You wonder why it took a year and a half for Connell to respond to this rant? Maybe it’s because the Hong Kong Highlanders had a gathering at The Canny Man this month. Connell’s its membership secretary. Maybe she showed up and the two of you met face to face.

9. JC
    Posted November 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

So has Connell made good on her promise to start her evilbitch.hk website?

10. McPherson
    Posted January 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Not as far as I know, but then, I stepped back, there is not much reasoning with fanatics!

11. Peter Huuhka
    Posted April 16, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Hello “chritian name” McPherson.

I got some advices from Annelise Connell. Can not tolerate a person that knows what is best for all.

During 1920-1945, ther was Austrian, Braunau, that that shared the opinion. It ended in WWII.

A hope all well fighting agains disoriented menthaly sick outlaws.

I have a whiskey and cigarr to that.

Yours
    Peter Huuhka
    Finland

12. JC
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

It’s been 16 months and three days since her announcement, but it doesn’t look like Ms. Connell has set up her evilbitch.hk website.

But she’s still her sanctimonious self in the SCMP Letters section. Today, she threatened to vote for the DAB (with both her votes, by the way) if the Pan-Dems continue with their plans to impeach Leung Chun-ying, who has apparently stood “for the greater good of the community against special interest groups.”

How ironic that this statement should come from someone who’s gotten her name in the papers over the years by pushing what many would consider her own special interests.